Wednesday, July 4, 2012

July 4, 2012




What is your favorite childhood memory....

I have many childhood memories and I am trying to remember my favorite.  So I will give you a few of them:

I lived in Leesville, Louisiana on an Army base - we lived in a trailer and I have fond memories of my sister Susie and my brother Joe - climbing over a fence to go to our favorite hangout.  A place that you could find tadpoles in a pond.  We would catch them and just have a good old time and we would ride our bikes all over the place.

Another time was when I lived in Frankfurt Germany - being a Army brat I had quite a few adventures.  I remember fondly fighting with my brother in our huge stairwell (we lived in a building that we had six apartments in one stairwell)  -- our fights were not small - we fought going up and going down, to this day it is just a memory, but I enjoyed our little adventures... I know a fight is not something to enjoy but you have to know my brother....





Another fond memory was being in Explorer Group 709 - my best friend Lorrie and I enjoyed it so much.  We had gone on a camping trip that included guys and we played capture the flag.  I also got to ride in a police car and go with them on rounds. 

When I was sixteen I worked at the AAFES radio station in Germany and was able to meet Wolf Man Jack, to this day I still have his picture of me sitting on his lap... Go Wolf Man Jack - go...  Wish I could find that picture now........

Going further back - I remember going on what we call (Volksmarches) - but these were organized walks that went for miles.  When you were done marching you recieved a medal.  I have many of those medals still to this day. 

I always loved when my OMA and OPA would come visit - we would get up early and go for walks.  We would walk for miles in Germany and those were the best times I got to spend with them.

My fondest memory in my childhood is my Daddy - he fought for us in the Army and he loved each and everyone of us like crazy.  I remember we had to take his Army boots off when he came home, we had make sure that we were quiet when he came home so that he could rest.  I also remember those Soccer games that he loved to watch and although they were in a different language you could always know when someone scored -- GOOOOAAAALLLLL all sounded the same...

As you can see I had many memories and I could probably write a book but until then I guess maybe I will tell my grandchildren all my stories.
See ya until later
Love Sabine


1 comment:

Mama Bear said...

Great stories! Love seeing the old pictures, too. Sounds to me like you went on a bunch of Volksmarches...I've always thought that sounded like fun. Keep up the good work blogging!